leachate.

the organic causes problems on the landfills.

Leachate ponds, seen on google maps.

Leachate ponds, seen on google maps.

A landfill heap can keep around 25% of its water content. The other 75% will leak off due to gravity and pressure from the hundreds of thousands of tons of waste. This water is called leachate.

On the leachate’s passing through the landfilled, it extracts soluble or suspended solid organic and non-organic matter; none by itself is toxic in the beginning. Inside the landfill, the oxygen is consumed quickly creating an anoxic environment. As the pH value drops the acids dissolve anything: metals, cement, salts, batteries, prints on paper and plastics. The effluent, leachate, is a heavily odorous black and cloudy liquid. (Wikipedia).

Leachate is known for very high BOD5 and COD levels, sometimes as high as 60,000mg/l and 80,000mg/l respectively.

Leachate will not disappear. Some reduces itself in summer through natural evaporation in the basins.

As long as the volumes we landfill contain 50% water we will keep producing 200-250 liters of leachate for every ton of municipal solid waste that is put on the landfill. And that stock grows as the volume of the landfill grows. When the ponds that keep the leachate fill up to the limit, costly treatment methods need to be applied, which may amount to major engineering challenges that encompasses a variety or all of the methods:

  • biological treatment,
  • physical/chemical treatment,
  • new technologies such as reverse osmosis (RO)
  • or forced evaporation,

Some treatment methods are lengthy, certainly costly, and repeatedly. There is no magic that does away with leachate!

but one solution for leachate. don’t landfill organic waste.

generizon does not treat existing/old leachate.

But, generizon shows a way of how not to prevent production of new leachate.

A relatively small effort upstream in the waste-cycle can have huge benefits downstream; one among many benefits: no leachate production because no landfilling, consequently no leachate treatment costs.

50% leachate reduction for a city with 1000t/day of solid waste.

This applies to Agadir, Fes, Tanger and Marrakech. All of the four have around 1000t/day municipal solid waste MSW, with the aforementioned characteristics, 70% organics with 70% water content.

What if we manage to divert 20% of the wettest and most problematic organic waste streams away from the landfills into anaerobic digestion facilities.

  • like hotel, restaurant, canteen and other kitchen waste,
  • like slaughterhouse waste, chicken and red meet,
  • like vegetable and fruit market and wholesale market waste,
  • like return and expired food stuff from supermarkets,
  • like confiscated food stuff,
  • like agro-industry waste, from fish, dairy, canning, juice production facilities.

If we divert 20%, that is 200 tons/day, we reduce leachate production by 50%!

Let’s assume we go in phases, as generizon’s solution is modular. Let’s start with 5%, 50 tons/day, that reduces leachate production on landfills by 11-12%/year. Still nice, and clean and 100% sustainable.

leachate is NOT for anaerobic digestion.

Leachate can never go into an anaerobic digestion tank, it kills the bacteria; it kills the process.