Anaerobic digestion takes place naturally in landfills, waste degradation occurs naturally and pretty slowly. Biogas and leachate production continues for several decades even after the landfill closes. Buried waste can dry out after a while, but remains still not completely stabilized.
The degassing of landfills is a major challenge for the climate and the environment. Urban landfills in Morocco produce more than 750 M m3 / year of biogas, of which only 5 – 10% is captured and flared today, the rest escapes into the atmosphere; an equivalent of 7.5 million tonnes / year of CO2 greenhouse gas emissions equivalent.
Currently, only 1% of the landfill gas is utilized (engine), the 99% is lost, the latter, according to our estimates, correspond to approximately 210 MW electric with an annual continuous production of 1.55 TWh, which can cover the need of 410,000 Moroccan households.
The well functioning of the complete degassing system on landfills must be ensured at all times, generizon provides the following services.
- dimensioning of the degassing system,
- piping vertical, inclined, horizontal, planning, engineering,
- advice on the position, operation of the flare, as well as functioning of all elements, sales and service,
- gas booster/compressor, sales and service,
- leachate evacuation system, advice,
- utilization of biogas, generator of electricity, sales and service,
- desulfurization and drying of biogas,
- connection, sale of electricity,
- use of heat (combined heat and power CHP) for leachate treatment solutions,
- advice on climate carbon credits.